A coalition of youth groups is set to embark on a mammoth peace walk in September 2016.
According to a statement, the walk is to help safeguard the peace during and after the elections in December.
The coalition comprises Dels Foundation, Graphic Communications Group, Young African Leadership Initiative and Radio Ghana.
The walk set for 21st September is scheduled to begin at 6am at Legon and end at the black star square.
Highlights of the event include speech by the Olympic truce peace ambassador to Ghana, a representative from the peace council and a photo shoot.
Please read below a Press statement on the initiative:
YOUTH FOR PEACE
Youth for peace 2016 As part of their contribution to a peaceful 2016 election, and safeguarding the peace during and after, dels foundation in partnership with Graphic Communications Group, Young African leadership network Ghana, PeaceAids International is organizing a youth for peace walk.
The Youth for peace initiative is supported by Young African leadership Initiative and Radio Ghana of the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation.
The Youth for Peace Walk 2016 is scheduled for 21st September 2016. The Dels Foundation and its implementing partners will host the Peace Walk to create awareness on a peaceful Ghana before, during and after the 2016 General Elections.
The Peace Walk will start from Legon around Okponglo at 6:00am and end at the black star square popularly known as the Independence Square.
Highlights include speech by the Olympic truce peace ambassador to Ghana, a representative from the peace council, a shoot peace carnival and photo shoot.
There will be item 13and buses to convey participants back to Legon. Sponsors will be given the opportunity to display their products and branding both on the route and the finish point. Other exhibitors are welcome to display their products
The participants of the Youth for Peace Initiatives will include University and Senior High School students, Corporate and Government Institutions as well as the general public. This is a link for registration: https://goo.gl/twBRu0
YFP 2016 is a youth-created and youth-led initiative aimed at proactively diffusing the young people’s orientation towards political violence fueled by a perception of being cheated at the election. The project will involve the deployment of a number of strategies towards the sensitization of peace in the country. The strategies include the following:
- Public education,
- Advocacy, sensitization and awareness campaigns
- Mobilization and capacity building for youth in and out of schools on the ethics and rudiments of peace, mindfulness, good leadership and non-violence, responsible citizenship,
- Video shows on the consequences of the war in Rwanda, Kenya, Sierra Leone and Liberia to show our communities the effects of war.
The following are the vehicles we intend to use to deploy our youth-related activities starting from July to December 2016:
- Youth for Peace Walk 2016:Youth for Peace Walk 2016 initiative will involve over 5000 young Peace Ambassadors, participants, religious leaders, business leaders, women leaders, and the media.
- Community Outreach (Anti-war video shows)
–will involve members and stake holders of selected communities-it intends building young people within the various regions: districts and towns or municipalities and local government Areas, which have been known to be serious crisis flash point throughout Ghana. The impact is to help them understand the effect of violence and issues that spark up violence and stay away from it.
- Volunteer Peace Ambassadors for Communities-nominating peace ambassadors to represent peace in their communities-these youth ambassadors are high ranking representatives of youth in their regions and will serve as a pivotal point person for yfp 2016 and will be assigned specific area of work classified as priority. The-these youth ambassadors are high ranking representatives of youth in their regions and will serve as a pivotal point person for yfp 2016 and will be assigned specific area of work classified as priority. The YA will help in sensitizing the youth for a peaceful 2016 election before, during and after the election.
Watch out for a Community Outreach Broadcast in your community soon.
The community outreach programmes (video shows) will be held in the following places:
-Ashiaman-1st July 2016
Our goal for this project is committed to redirecting the potential of the Ghanaian Youth to productive ventures; to empower them with knowledge and skills in peace building, leadership development, as they are made Ambassadors of Peace.
Consequently, the main objective of this event is to reduce the negative involvement of the Ghanaian youth, especially during elections and other events that often spark up tension, and have the tendency of violence. So, we look forward to your institution sponsoring us to organize such a great event.
Dels Foundation is ready to partner your institution to help in undertaking this influential project. Let’s together impact our communities.
Sponsors and volunteers are welcome. You can also contact us for inputs and contribution towards such events. We wish to thank you for your time and looking forward to embarking on yfp 2016 with you
Contact us by email at email@example.com
Call Phone Numbers: 0244761455,024293983, 0204
353031 Please visit our social media page.