Ghana literary News-The Ghana Association of Writers (GAW) is calling for entries for her 2018 Literary Awards slated for November, 2018.
The 2018 event marks the second year of the Awards following its revival.
The Awards is under the theme; “Honouring literary Excellence” and will take place on Saturday, November 24, 2018, at PAWA Gardens, PAWA House, Roman Ridge, Accra.
This year’s event will award winners in the eleven (11) competitive categories, and a number of distinguished literary personalities will receive Career Attainment Awards.
Participants are required to submit at least three (3) copies of their work published between January 2012 and December 2017 to the address below:
The General Secretary
Ghana Association of Writers (GAW)
PAWA house, Roman Ridge
P.O. Box LG 375, Legon, Accra
Telephone number +223(0) 30273219,
E-mail Address: email@example.com.
Deadline for submission of entries
The deadline for submission has been extended from Tuesday, July 31, 2018. For additional information contact the address above.
Rules for entry
- This award is open to works by Ghanaian authors or anyone that must have been resident in Ghana for at least three years.
- Entries may be on any subject or theme.
- Entries must be original and published in Ghana or abroad in a physical book format or a suitable audio/video format (in the case of Spoken Word category) between January 2012 and December 2017.
- All entries must be in English, except for works entered in the Ghanaian language special award category, and submitted by the Bureau of Ghana Languages (BGL).
- The entry should be accessible to the general reading public (general commercial release) and cannot be intended for a specialised or academic readership.
- Anthologies of short stories, poetry, or essays by multiple authors are ineligible for entry.
- Collections of short stories, poetry, or essays in newspapers, magazines, or online previously published and compiled into book format are considered eligible.
- A contestant may submit more than one entry for the competition provided that the entries are different and not variations of the same work.
- Revised editions of works submitted in a previous year are eligible for entry.
- The same work should not be submitted in more than one language in the same award period.
- Participants are required to submit three (3) copies of their works.
- Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to enter.
- The organisers shall not be held responsible for any entries that have been lost or damaged in transit.
- All works submitted in the Competition will be retained by GAW.
- All disputes, claims, and causes of action are to be settled by the Awards Committee.
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 4:00p.m.
- Short Story
- Children’s Story Book
- Children’s Poetry
- Young Writer (not more than 25 yrs.)
- Creative Non-Fiction (For the purpose of the award, we define creative non-fiction as writing that uses literary devices to create a narrative text about real events, people, or ideas. Examples in this genre include literary criticism, biography, food writing, literary journalism, memoirs, personal essays and travel writing, but does not include cookbooks, self-help manuals, travel guides, or textbooks).
- Drama (staged)
- Spoken Word (audio/video)
- Script Writing
- Ghanaian language special award
About GAW Literary Awards
The GAW Literary Awards event was instituted in the 1970s. The awards event had been dormant since its last organisation in the 1980s due to political, social and financial circumstances. It has been revived last year by the current administration of GAW to commemorate GAW’s and Ghana’s sixty years of formation and statehood, respectively. The purpose envisioned by the originators of the awards, to honour literary excellence, remains unchanged hence the theme: Honouring Literary Excellence.
What do you think about this piece? Share your comment in the comment thread and share the story using the social media buttons above. Thank you.