rawgist.com has been speaking to fast rising Ghanaian dancehall artiste Xhila Roy about his life so far and his journey into the world of music. Here is a summary of what we found out:
- Xhila is name coined out of the English word “exhilaration” which connotes cheering, or gladdening the hearts of others. “Roy” is a link to his former hall of affiliation back on KNUST campus. He was a member of the Queen Elizabeth II Hall members of which are refered to as Royals (hence the “Roy”).
- He is known outside showbiz as Prince Debrah Danquah
- Xhila was born and bred in Ashaiman, where he attended Ashaiman Secondary School and then later, the prestigious Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, KNUST in Kumasi.
- It was at KNUST that Xhila Roy realized one of his life long passions; radio. He used the campus radio (Focus FM) platform to project dancehall and related genres and was also bent on presenting quality entertainment generally; a feat that won him the Entertainment chairman position of his hall on campus as well as other positions within the Students’ Representative Council.
- With his command over Jamaican language (Patwa) he successfully landed on-phone interviews with dancehall heavyweights from the Caribbean Island. In 2012, he shot to significance within the student community when he interviewed DEMARCO who was by then beaming with pride on his worldwide hit song “I love my life”.
- The staging of the “KNUST Galaxy Nyt” propelled him to lime light as he took center stage as the master of ceremony on the night to host an event that fetched close to ten thousand students.
- With a in Bsc. Biotechnology, he combines DJ’ing and Presenting with music and has six singles with the first being “TRAMPLE”. Other singles from him are PARTY AGAIN, GOD AND MUSIC, FRENEMIES, MONEY, LIFE with a new song which is enjoying some air-play “LIKE SOLOMON”.
- Characterized by his lyrical onslaught, on-spot creativity and the ability to give listeners the reason to listen to his music, he implores the world to choose clear lyrics over noise as he intends to use Dancehall music to make the ghetto a better place
Follow him on Social Media;
Facebook: XRoy GH
For Booking and Enquiries;
Phone: +233-249637091 | +233-200722853